My name is Annie Wright. I’m a licensed psychotherapist, coach, and consultant supporting individuals, couples, and families from the Bay Area and beyond.
Let’s meet, shall we?
I received multiple undergraduate degrees from Brown University, my graduate degree in psychology from the California Institute of Integral Studies, and my coaches training from the Coaches Training Institute.
In between degrees and training, I’ve also served in the Peace Corps in Uzbekistan, spent several years as a Washington DC-based healthcare consultant, lived and studied for nearly four years at the world-famous Esalen Institute, served as a non-profit leader in the women and girl’s empowerment space, launched a mental health center here in Berkeley, California, and had my clinical thoughts, opinions, and writing published in outlets such as Forbes, NBC, The Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, and more.
Because of my diverse professional background, I bring a robust variety of skills and a strong commitment to social justice in my work as a psychotherapist, coach, and consultant.
So that’s what you should know about me professionally.
What you should know about me personally is that I chose to become a psychotherapist because therapy has been (and continues to be) profoundly invaluable in my own journey from adversity to healing. I do this work because I care deeply about helping others who feel hopeless, stuck, and lonely – like I did at many points in my life coming from very challenging and adverse beginnings. I do this work because I strongly believe that everyone deserves a skilled, fierce ally and lots of resources to support them when life gets tough (as it inevitably does).
And I do this work because, at the end of the day, I can’t not do this work.
Not only is this work my passion, it’s also the story of my own life path. Honestly, from the time I was a little girl reading every book I could about the Holocaust, Salem witch trials, ancient mythology and fables in the local library of the Maine island village I grew up in, I’ve been fascinated and drawn to stories of human suffering, of people triumphing over adversity, and by what it takes to move forward to build a beautiful, healed life despite early disadvantages, abuse by those in power, and trauma of the mind, body, and soul. I’ve identified with the pain I saw in others and also resonated with the yearning for something better. I’ve been deeply inspired by models and examples of people who didn’t just survive but thrived despite circumstances, and cultivated a hunger for learning, for resources, for practices that would support me in doing the same.
Along the way, my personal passion to heal my own life grew to professional and formal academic pursuits.
Some of these pursuits included running an Ivy League student advising program (not to mention becoming the first in my family to go to college), interning at an international conflict resolution organization, leading girl- and women-serving non-profits, being an educator and public servant in Central Asia, doing a 180 with my life and career at age 25 by saying goodbye to a lucrative but unfulfilling corporate consulting job and moving from Capitol Hill to Big Sur, California to wash dishes and bake bread in the Esalen kitchens, study psychology and spirituality, and live in a yurt under a eucalyptus grove by the sea. Years later, I’m now a licensed psychotherapist, mental health clinic founder, and published writer.
I wholeheartedly believe that crafting a life of connection, meaning, and fulfillment is possible no matter where you start out in life and that everyone deserves to be skillfully supported in pursuit of this.
As a psychotherapist, coach, and consultant, I work with individuals, couples, and families from the Bay Area and beyond to help them transform their challenges and move forward in creating a life that feels empowered, connected, hopeful, and possible. It’s a privilege and an honor to support my clients – all brave and determined people who want to make sense of their past and to move forward in creating more fulfilling, meaningful lives for themselves.
I truly love the work that I do.
I’m so glad you’re here and that you’re exploring the possibility of working with me. I encourage you to read about the ways we can work together which includes therapy (which I offer through my group counseling practice), coaching, consulting, workshops or online products. As you consider working with me, I also invite you to explore the most frequently asked questions people have when considering my services, check out my many years of blog posts to learn more about how I think and work, and if you’re still not sure I’m the right fit for you as a helper, you can also contact me to set up a complimentary 20-minute initial consult call so that I can answer any additional questions you might have about working with me in any capacity.
I look forward to being of support to you.
Credentials & Associations:
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #95719.
- Founder, Evergreen Counseling A Marriage And Family Therapy Corporation.
- Member, The Women’s Therapy Center Berkeley.
- Member, The Psychotherapy Institute, Berkeley.
- Registered Coach, International Coach Federation #009059731I.
Education & Trainings:
- Brown University, BA in History, BA in Egyptology, 2004.
- California Institute of Integral Studies, Masters in Counseling Psychology, 2012.
- Coaches Training Institute, Certified Professional Co-Active Coach, 2010.
- Church Street Integral Counseling Center, Practicum Training, San Francisco, 2011-2012.
- Advanced Gestalt Process, Esalen, October 2010.
- Master of Two Worlds: Manifesting Personal Sustainability in Your Life and Work, Esalen, April 2011.
- Arrive Already Loved: Creating Sacred Attachment with Yourself in the Here and Now, Esalen, July 2010.
- Introduction to Gestalt Awareness Practice, Esalen, June 2010.
- Gestalt Coaching, Esalen, May 2010.
- Gestalt Process Study Group, Esalen, February 2010.
- Social Entrepreneurship: From Spiritual Values to Effective Action, Esalen, November 2009.
- Advanced Gestalt Process, Esalen, October 2009.
- The Coaches Training Institute: Co-Active Fundamentals, Esalen, October 2009.
- Vision and Visionaries: The Alchemy of Transformation, Esalen, October 2009.
- Relational Gestalt Awareness Practice, Esalen, September 2009.
- Beyond Yes: Negotiating with Wisdom, Living with Mastery, August 2009.
- Life Coaching Crash Course: Unraveling Your Personal History, August 2009.
- Energy and How to Use It: Healing, Intuition, and Creating Change, July 2009.
- Advanced Gestalt Process, Esalen, July 2009.
- Social Entrepreneurship: From Spiritual Values to Effective Action, November 2008.
- A New Beginning: Courage and Heart, Esalen, August 2007.